Monday, May 25, 2015

The Thief - Part 2

Something I read...

 I was probably only down for a minute or two, but by the time I was back on my feet and bit more with it, the shop owner was between me and the door, holding the biggest sodding knife I’ve ever seen.
“Lad, you wanna make sure you know who you’re stealing from before you try. You put that watch in your pocket in clear sight of my little camera here.”
He pointed to where he had previously stood when – I thought – he could not see me. Pointing at the wall, he revealed a security camera pointing right at the spot where I had pocketed the watch.
“You even walked slow enough for me to turn the camera off and grab something to lump you with, you silly little git.”
I was caught, good and proper. I asked the shop owner in, I must confess, a very pathetic voice, if he had called the police. He replied in a softer voice this time.
“Son, I’ve got you red-handed and on tape. Here’s the deal, son. I have a close friend who is the parish priest of the church up at the top of the high street. What I want you to do is to go to confession. Tell him not just about today, but about all your sins, and carry out you’re penance. I will call him to say he should expect you there tonight at nine.”
The shop keeper, an old, graying man, but being over 6’ 5”, with a big frame, and also a massive knife, had given me a pass. All I had to do was go to confession, tell the priest my sins, and knock out a few Hail Mary’s. Well, I agreed. We amazingly exchanged a polite good-bye, and I was out.

1 comment: